A place for us to chat about everyday things
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Pet Owners .....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Trixie~360

avatar

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Pet Owners .....   Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:41 pm

Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those that do
Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family.

Please tell every dog owner you know.
Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to
use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled, and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden.

Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.
Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees depending on e ach individual dog). 'However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'

This Snopes site gives the following information:
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution, check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs.
Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, axanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.the-red-couch.blogspot.com/
 
Pet Owners .....
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» We savage flux owners should do this someday...
» Foden Steam Wagon Owners Club
» NS Genelex Gold Lion KT66 owners: BEWARE!!
» Starting a Publishing Company
» Sorta Sportavia

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Spot :: This & That :: Misc. News-
Jump to: